Before we dive into the bodyweight exercises, let’s see some of the benefits of bodyweight exercises. They are as follows :
Advantages of bodyweight workout:
- They are basically Free : You have to only pay for pull-up bar or similar accessible piece of equipment, but other than that, bodyweight exercises come free of cost.
- You can Perform Bodyweight Exercises Pretty much Anywhere : Do you have enough room in your home or apartment to stretch your arms and legs? If so, then you have enough room to do bodyweight workout program.
- They actually Work Pretty Well : Want to prevent injury? Build muscle? Develop technique? Retain a tight figure? Well, bodyweight workouts are one way to do it.
- Improve Both Range of Motion and Centre of Gravity : Flexibility and balance are two things no self-respecting fitness freak should be without. These exercises can improve both of these fundamental components. You do the math.
Best Bodyweight Exercises for Muscle Building
- Push-up : A timeless classic if there ever was one, the mighty push-up is also quite effortless to execute. Start with: 3-5 sets of 10-20 reps. Muscles Targeted : pectorals, deltoids, biceps, triceps
2. Burpees :
Putting a gym session’s worth of fitness into one choice workout, this bonafide calorie-burner targets muscles all over the body. Let’s get into it:
- Keeping your feet shoulder-width apart, assume the squat position until your thighs are parallel to the floor
- Place your hands on the floor and kick your legs out until you’re in the push-up position
- Push up until your arms are straight and then tuck your legs back into the squat position
- Drive through at the heels and jump six inches off the floor
- Repeat. Muscles targeted: arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings, abs
3. Handstand push-ups :
Definitely not for beginners, this Exercise builds a serious amount of shoulder strength, in fact it builds whole upper body strength(particularly shoulders). Plus, it looks cool.
4. Pull-Ups :
One of the best bodyweight exercises to build muscle, the wide-grip pull-up is certainly a challenge, no matter how strong you are. Additionally, it also serves as a full body workout at home fitness fanatics can perform practically anywhere.
5. Squats :
Good for building muscle, increasing strength, improving hip mobility, and burning fat, the traditional squat is a bodyweight workout essential. Here’s how to do it:
- Set your feet shoulder-width apart, with your toes slightly facing outward
- Pull in your lower abs and keep your eyes forward
- Slowly bend at the knees and lower your body, keeping your heels flat on the floor
- Pause at the bottom before pushing back up to the starting position